The Mentor Program
The SGA FLEX mentor program is seeking highly motivated leaders involved all across campus who hold and carry out various leadership styles to help facilitate personal growth and leadership development of first-year students in the program. Mentors will build relationships with FLEXers through mentor-led events, weekly check-ins, monthly FLEX meetings, and more.
Mentor applicants must be a sophomore or above as of Fall 2020 and be in good academic, honor, and judicial standing throughout the application process, and while serving as a mentor.
*Previous participation as a FLEXer (participant) is not required to be selected as a mentor. All students from all areas of campus are welcomed and encouraged to apply!
Start of the Year (August – September):
- Help advertise FLEX Class of 2024 applications
- Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 7:00 P.M.: Mentor Training
- Thursday, September 10, 2020: Review written applications for FLEX Class of 2024
- Monday, September 14, 2020 – Thursday, September 17, 2020: Help conduct group
- Attend combo meetings with FLEXers on Wednesdays from 7:00 – 8:30 P.M. approximately once a month (via Zoom)
- Attend monthly mentor meetings on the first Monday of every month at 8:30 P.M. beginning Monday, October 5, 2020 (via Zoom). If information can be aptly communicated over email instead, it will be!
- Hold one virtual mentor event (in a group of mentors) either fall or spring semester (see “Mentor Events” below)
- Weekly mentor pairings/check-ins with 1-2 FLEX participants to foster conversation and bonding
- One-on-one meeting with the FLEX Director or Assistant Director each semester (via Zoom)
*Attendance and participation is required for all requirements listed above including, but not limited to, mentor meetings, combo meetings with FLEXers, application review, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: All FLEX meetings and events will be facilitated virtually for the Fall 2020 semester, according to federal, state, local, and university guidelines regarding COVID-19. This will be reevaluated for the Spring 2021 semester.
The requirements listed above represent only a baseline of what is expected from FLEX mentors. Mentors are encouraged to reach out and be available to FLEXers as needed and seek out ways to build relationships outside of structured meetings. Additionally, mentors shall serve as a resource for FLEXers looking to get involved and are encouraged to share their experiences in organizations they are a part of. They shall be an example of leadership, flexibility, and being an active contributor to a greater community. Sharing their passions with FLEXers will help the participants identify and pursue their own.
Mentors will divide into small groups and facilitate an interactive activity for FLEXers. Centered around the mentors’ passions and experiences, these events provide an opportunity to learn more about each other, leadership in action, and the community around them. Examples include:
- A Minute-to-Win-It game event
- A virtual cooking or art class
- A guided meditation/yoga event to destress before finals and promote wellness
- Working with Campus Kitchen to create meal kits for the NRV area
The goal is to engage the FLEXers in a meaningful, structured way. Creativity is encouraged!
* All fall 2020 mentor events will be virtual.
Application and Selection Process
Following the written application review, applicants may be asked to continue with the process by interviewing with the Director and Assistant Director (Nathan McDonald and Grace McCarthy, respectively). The window for these interviews is August 24th – 28th and will be held via Zoom.
- Tuesday July 28, 2020: Mentor Application Opens
- Tuesday, August 18, 2020: Mentor Application Closes
- Friday, August 21, 2020: Notification of Application Status (If selected, interview time
- will be included)
- Monday, August 24, 2020 – Friday, August 28, 2020: Mentor Interviews
- Friday, August 28, 2020: Notification of Final Application Status
*Note: Nathan and Grace would be happy to go over this information and answer any additional questions or concerns “in person” over Zoom. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your application!